Picture A Fender-Bender
If you’re involved in a car accident, it’s important to know what to do afterward:
- Immediately check for personal injuries and call for emergency aid, if needed.
- If you or any of your passengers are hurt, get emergency help.
- If possible, and necessary, drive your car to the side of the road, away from traffic.
- Draw a sketch of the accident scene, if you can, and write down any details of the accident (i.e. estimated speed, weather, road conditions). It’s surprising how quickly your recollection fades after an accident. Describe damage to your vehicle and others involved. You might even draw a sample picture of them, circling damaged areas.
- Write down the other driver’s name, address, phone number, driver’s license number, license plate number, vehicle make and model, vehicle owner and address (if different from the driver’s), insurer and policy number.
Your accident report must be filed with the police within 48 hours. When you report the claim to your broker, you will also need a copy of the police report or accident number.
For more details, contact us or e-mail us and we’ll reply within one business day.